In this season of giving, I have three gifts to offer for a grieving Christmas.
- My first Gift is for YOU:
Maybe you are facing this Christmas season with dread:
- Recognize that this Christmas is different.
- Plan Ahead. Decide what YOU want to do. Act rather than react.
- Re-examine your priorities
- Avoid “shoulds” and “oughts”
- Make the changes you think are best
- Take responsibility for your own happiness.
- Look after Yourself. Don’t abandon healthy habits
- Be compassionate with yourself if things are not perfect this year
- The next Gift focuses on YOUR LOVED ONE:
They may be gone, but they will be very much on your mind:
- Acknowledge your loved one’s presence
- Light a Memorial candle to remember them at this season
- Create a special tribute to your loved one. Involve children in this if you can
- Be honest about your feelings, and be sensitive to what they are trying to say to you
- Don’t be afraid to Relive your Memories
- Let the light of the years shine on the event rather than letting the event cast its shadow on the years
- My third gift has to do with FAMILY AND FRIENDS:
Others around are probably grieving too. How can we work together to make this Christmas meaningful, even if not merry:
- Balance Solitude and Sociability.
- Ask for and accept Help.
- Set differences aside.
- Learn to say “No”.
- Take a break from things.
- Try to find something positive in your life.
- Take care of any children involved.
- Try to do something to help someone else who is hurting.